Friday, June 10, 2005

First month back - Thoughts and Reflections

I can’t believe that I have been back in the United States for almost a month now. Time has really flown by and has taken about this long to get resituated back into things. I know that I mentioned that I was going to send out a follow up mail letting everyone know what is going on, so I apologize for the delay. Just know that I much needed some down time and to just “veg” for awhile, not having to think about anything. Please don’t feel that I have ignored any of you, because that isn’t the case. Here are some of my highlights from my trip:

Biggest Surprises: Finding out that all of Central America’s countries have everything that we have. “Used” toilet paper isn’t “that” bad. That I gained ten pounds (while most lost ten) and that I didn’t get sick once.

Most Fun: Getting certified to SCUBA dive for Christmas in Belize. Staying on a deserted island in Panama.

Biggest Take Away: People of every country, color, and economic class all have the same life dream: to be happy and free from pain. We are more alike than different. I don’t need to know where I am going in order to get there…this is true peace. I can go anywhere, live, meet people and survive. Kindness goes a long way and so does patience.

Biggest Pleasure: My homestay family. Wow, what an amazing thing to laugh, eat, and share some of your most intimate feelings in another language with people that you feel are like your real family.

Most Excited About: That I am able to speak Spanish a little better than when I started. Oh wait, I couldn’t speak at all before I left. J All the friends that I met from all around the world, making this planet feel all that much smaller.

Best All Around: Is that I changed and that is what this trip was about. This trip was everything that I wanted and more. I truly feel blessed that I was given the opportunity to do something like this. I now get to start over, rewrite the rules so-to-speak and do something that truly matters to me. I feel more at peace with myself and life than ever before and look forward to what the future has in store for me.

Life After C.A.: Currently I am living in Spokane, WA with my family. It has been so great to get reconnected and be here with them. I spent some time over in Seattle and will be there again next week. I am also thinking about spending a little time in NYC and Washington DC, however, I feel that for the moment “home” for me is going to be Spokane. I bought a car and got a cell phone, so I can be a little closer to this side of the world. I also have requested to volunteer with a variety of organizations here in Spokane to build a sense of community and give back a little more. I need to find a job at some point, but feel confident that the right thing will come along soon.

That pretty much sums it up to this point. I am just relaxing, having coffee and doing a lot of reading which has been awesome. I am feeling great, refreshed and excited to start my next chapter. I will keep you posted. God bless you all and thank you so much for everything. I wish you peace and happiness in all that you do.

Thanks,
Craig

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home