Friday, April 29, 2005

Xela no más

Hola,

Wow, the end of Xela is here. I can’t believe it! I remember when I first got here, scared and not sure what to think. Now it feels like home. I am truly going to miss my family (Doris/Mario) Celas Maya, and friends.

I flew from San José, CR to Guatemala City where Charlie met me. From there we spent a few days catching up and going to Café Barista (the best coffee in all of Guatemala) before heading up to Quetzeltenago.

I was a bit nervous driving up because so much had happened and I didn’t know what to expect. It is always different going back to places and I didn’t know what I would think. Plus Doris had moved into a different house, with a lot more bedrooms which meant more students. The current house has 8 bedrooms.

When I arrived to Doris’ house there was Lucy, Melissa, Sarah, Me, Deborah, and Jimmy. Then another Melissa, David and Sarah’s novio Don Juan de Marco came to stay with us. Right now there are nine of us including Doris and Mario which makes for a really fun time. It has been so great to get to know everyone better, especially Doris and Mario. Now that my Spanish is a bit better we have been able to communicate better.

School went really well for me. I was even surprised at how much more Spanish I knew than I thought I knew. I had a great teacher named Ligia for the entire time I was in school which is really great because they like you to change your teacher after two weeks. We finished up through all the Spanish tenses.

I kept a pretty low profile for this month, trying to make Spanish my priority. We went out of couple of times with friends for wine and cheese, studied over coffee, had a massage. I did go to Guatemala City one weekend for Charlie’s brother wedding which was really fun.

I got to rent a suit and get all dressed up, because they aren’t like the weddings in the States. Here it is a huge production where everyone is required to wear; for the men, suits and for the women, nightgowns. The women all get their hair done and nails…quite the production. There were about 1,200 people that attended, five different types of food (Italian, India, Japanese, Mexican and Greek), dessert table, all you can drink bar (my favorite), and a live band. We all had an amazing time and didn't go to bed until 6:30 am the following day.

The following two weeks were spent just enjoying Xela and Guatemala in general. Doris made a special good-bye dinner for everyone which was amazing. Super good food and tons of friends, in all there were: Me, Melissa, Melissa, Lucy, Sarah, Don Juan de Marco, Peter, Kevin, David, Charlie, Doris and Mario. Afterwards we played a game of Mimica which was a lot of fun. We all decided to go out afterwards and check out the street fair. They had live bands playing in the street, dancers and fireworks. It was very cool.

During my last week I shared it between Antigua and the City which was really nice. Kevin got to spend some of it with Charlie and I since he rode back with us, Charlie's grandma and her friend from Sweden. It was good to see some old friends, hang out in the park in Antigua and of course get coffee and Cafe Barista. Guatemala's only good coffee spot. I spent plenty of time hanging out there, reading and enjoying some great coffee.

Charlie through a birthday dinner at Tamarindos with some friends which was over the top. We ate and drank like kings and had a great time. I got one more amazing massage from David...absolutely incredible in Antigua and got to buy all my gifts for my family and friends.

That pretty much takes me right up to the end of my trip. I can't believe that it is finally over. What an amazing time, truly a dream come true and something that I will never forget. Thanks to everyone who supported me on this journey, cheered me on and gave me strength.

I love you all,
Craig

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home