Friday, March 18, 2005

It was bound to happen

Buenas Tardes!

I hope this email finds everyone happy and well. Just a quick update while I have a bit of time before heading off to Bocas del Toro, Panama to let you know what I have been up to lately.

After spending some much needed beach time in Manuel Antonio, CR I headed back to San José to organize my trip to Panama City. There aren't too many choices to head to Panama, my ticket was leaving SJ at 10:00 pm and arriving to PC at 4:00 pm the following day...more on that later.

After spending a bit of time in the city the following day, I was able to get everything done that I wanted to and even had time to buy two books for the bus ride. I said "Goodbye" to my friend Michael, had "Bagelman's" one more time and was off to Judko's home (where I have been staying while in San José). I needed to head back home to back my stuff for the trip. Upon arriving to the front of the house I immediately saw police cars and security officers.

A bit alarmed I walked up to the front door, which I noticed was completely smashed in (ironically it wasn't even locked, they could have just walked in) and not really sure what to expect. Apparently, while I was away someone had broken into Judko's home and then tried to break into the neighbor's house which triggered the alarm (hence the police). Flashing before my eyes were all my belongings: clothes, passport, camera, backpack, everything...gone.

Luckily for me the policemen spoke some English and I asked if I could come in to check if my stuff was still here. I ran upstairs to a small blue bag that I had bought in Guatemala to use for short trips (like trips to the beach) and noticed that everything that I really cared about was still there! Whew! From just looking at the bag, you would have not expected the things that were in there. It just looked like a gym bag with some clothes thrown on top, but buried beneath the mess was everything else.

However, I didn't walk away completely unscathed and neither did Judko. They stole his TV and stereo and stole my backpack. In it was all my shoes, some clothes and miscellaneous items. Not a huge loss, but the backpack was Curtis'. Sorry Curtis! (Erica aren't you glad that I decided to switch it out the last second!) Erica was kind enough to lend me her's, but I didn't like the feeling that something might happen to it...like getting stolen.

I called Judko and told him that the security guards were here and wanted to know if he wanted to talk to them. His response was, "Security guards! Get them out of my house before they steal something too!" Apparently the law enforcement team isn't like ours. The police stated that I could go down and make a statement and when I asked if that would do any good, they said "No." So at least they were honest.

I was a bit shaken up, but I packed the rest of my belongings in my inconspicuous blue bag and headed downtown to catch my bus. While taking a taxi, I reflected at how I have traveled 7 countries, rode on numerous chicken buses and were in situations less than desirable and never had any problems. Not one. Heck I haven't even been sick yet...no traveler's...well you know what. And here in this house that is secured with bars on all the windows, a 15 foot wall surrounding the backyard with spikes, and a security controlled garage door got broken into and my stuff stolen.

I know all too well how secure his house is because I locked myself out once before. Judko is in the United States and I was just planning on running to the store really quickly so the only thing that I had was a little money and the clothes that I was wearing. I ran out and shut the door behind me and it was locked. I am not sure how it got locked, but I had no credit cards, no phone numbers, no ID...nothing. And no way of getting a hold of anyone. I didn't know what to do I so tried climbing on top of the roof with a ladder, that didn't work. With no other way to get in, I just sat on the front steps waiting for the neighbor to show, but it was already 11:00 pm and I didn't know if he was even in town.

I was a little desperate for about 30 minutes, but everything worked out okay. The neighbor 'Migue'l came home (and spoke English, yah! Trying to explain who I was when he has never seen me and tell him that I need to get into Judko's house was a bit much for me.). He didn't have the key, so we tried a couple of other futile attempts at climbing through the backyard. Let me tell you that 15 feet walls, with fenced spikes all around, and a garden of thorns underneath isn't an easy chore. When it was all said and down, cuts, scrapes and all the backdoor was locked. Miguel was nice enough to let me stay at his house until the maid came later the next day! Thanks Miguel! So here I was in disbelief that they could get in and steal mine and Judko's things.

I arrived at the bus station and we left for Panama at 10 pm. I was a little confused at this because the border closes at 7:00 pm and doesn't open until 6:00 am. Well, it turns out that the road to the border is one of the windiest, twisted roads ever. If you could stomach the nausea for a bit to try to fall asleep, you were awoken by being thrown on the floor by the driver's erratic driving. We ended up getting to the border at 4:00 am and had to wait for two hours before it opened.

The air was hot and humid and the bus was turned off...no air conditioning! Failing to sleep, I got up at 5:30 am to get something to eat before I had to wait in line for the next 2 hours. The immigration window to leave CR is in a different spot than is the window to buy your tourist visa to enter Panama, which is in a different place than the immigration window to check into Panama. We then had to take all of our luggage off so the immigration security could check them and also check the bus. We left at 8:00 am four hours later at the border and didn't get into Panama until 4:00 pm. A very long 18 hours!

Panama comes with its' own adventures, but that is another email and for another time. Just know that I am having a great time here and no more troubles. Honestly I can't complain for I have had nothing but great fortune on this trip.

Muchas abrazos y besos,
Craig

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home